April 11, 2011
Happy Khmer New Year!!!!
The New Year Holiday is actually April 13-15. However, everyone takes the week off and the city really empties out. Guesses are that 2 million people from Phnom Penh travel to their home villages during this time.
February 7th to March 11th – Loren Hollingsworth taught Romans & Dale Lundy taught the Wisdom Literature (in Tawn’s place).
March 14-18 – Dale Lundy taught an all day, one week class on Leadership.
Mid March to April – see the Evangelism Classes and Campaign below.
April 25-May 25 – Bobby Deason will teach ACTS (in Tawn’s place) & Dennis Welch will teach O.T. History 1. Bobby’s filling in for us will allow Ronda and I to make it to our son’s college graduation and to my parents’50th Wedding Celebration.
Thanks to all these men for teaching and sharing their lives.
Evangelism Classes and Campaign Weeks: From March 21 to April 1st, Tim Brumfield has been here teaching on Evangelism. We are in the middle of two weeks of Evangelistic efforts (with the New Year in between). Here is what the first week looked like. Please keep in mind that the law forbids us to go door to door and forbids us to pass out literature, both of these under the threat of prosecution. Many of our students were scared about trying to talk with people. They were afraid we might be put into jail. But, we found that it would work and was okay.
- Monday, April 4 – BEST Center Area – (All students, Veasna, Chheav, Try, Dennis, Tim and I – around 25 total)
- Tuesday, April 5 – Thoul Thrarang – Try & Sovan”s Village, our first time there – (All students, Veasna, Chheav, Try, Dennis, Tim and I – around 25 total)
- Wednesday, April 6 – Sang Sok -Vannak’s & Sophy’s area in Phnom Penh, our first time there. Changed from Friday – partly due to fire at factory out there and the chance to minister to those affected by it. (All students -Minus Kolab and KimSreav who were sick, Veasna, Chheav, Dennis, Tim and I – around 20 total)
- Thursday, April 7 – TPP (Trapeang Putrea) New Place, our first time there. About 12 people went there. Two who had studied with Veasna in the past, were baptized into Christ. 2 more on Sunday. NEW CHURCH there now. & TNT – About 12 went there. Sokun taught 14 adults at TNT, Makara & Kolab taught about 30 kids. Vannak, Sokorn and others taught many at Sokorn’s house, 2 other groups went out.
- Friday, April 8 – CBI Area (Changed from Weds) (All students minus Vuth, Penh & Sokna. Also, Veasna, Chheav, Tim and I – around 18 total) Many were sick, tired and dragging. Lunch and stopped – afternoon party at the BEST Center for Khmer New Year. (Had around 100 at the BEST Center Party. One lady who came to the party came to worship Sunday. She was baptized into Christ Sunday night after studying with TRY.)
April 9-17 – Weekends and Khmer New Year
- Monday, April 18 – 1. Rah (Pisey’s) – changed this to Monday so Pisey can come) 2. Vannak’s home or Rang Dak
- Tuesday, April 19 – Chheav’s Area (Phnom Penh)
- Wednesday, April 20 – BEST Center Area (Phnom Penh)
- Thursday, April 21 – Possible places – Rang Dak, KSP, Krang Dong, Vannak’s
- Friday, April 22 – CBI Area (Phnom Penh)
I want to highlight 3 of our graduates who have helped with translating and with the campaign weeks. They all have their own works too, but they are filling in and helping. We would be lost without them.
- 1. Veasna, June 2009 Graduate -has been a great help in many ways. He translated Dennis classes on Sacrificial Systems and on the Humanity of Christ in January. He also translated the all day class on Leadership for Dale Lundy. In addition, he has done a lot of the arranging, etc.. for the Campaign weeks. Like all the men, he also helped check the Romans book and study guides we had translated into Khmer.
- 2. Chheav, December 2009 Graduate – translated Loren’s class on Romans in February and the two week, all day every day class on Evangelism for Tim Brumfield. Chheav also went out with us every day of the Campaign. He also helped check the Romans book and study guides.
- 3. Try, June 2010 Graduate – translated Dale’s class on Wisdom Literature in February and will translate the upcoming ACTS class in late April to late May. Try went out with us several days of the Campaign. He plans to study more over the holidays with 5 people at his village who are close to believing. In addition, he studied with and baptized the lady last night (from the BEST Center area.) Try also helped check the Romans book and study guides.
May the glory be to God who raised up men to fill the gaps.